Mary Seacole Trust Chair Trevor Sterling will be among the judging panel for a new category in the Student Nursing Times Awards 2019. MST Trustee and nurse Karen Bonner has helped develop the Mary Seacole Award for Outstanding Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion.
The Trust is working with Health Education England, sponsors of the Award, and the Nursing Times team to find student nurses who have made an exceptional contribution to creating a supportive and inclusive environment for their patients and/or other students and staff.
MST Chair Trevor Sterling said: ‘I am delighted to represent the Mary Seacole Trust as a judge in respect of the new Mary Seacole Award for Outstanding Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion. This award, at student level, recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as an important foundation in the workplace and in respect of patients.’
Finalists will be expected to demonstrate one or more of the following:
- Enthusiasm for providing compassionate and inclusive nursing
- Courage by going the extra mile to help patients navigate through difficulties
- A substantial contribution to the care of patients from diverse backgrounds
- They have been a role model or ally in championing and building inclusion
- They have championed the needs of those from diverse backgrounds and ensured those needs are met
- Developed creative solutions to ensure that their work and study environment is diverse and inclusive
- They have acted as a role model to build diversity and inclusion.
The award is open to all students who are currently studying a nursing or midwifery course in the UK or who successfully completed their course during 2018. Entries will be accepted from a trust, supervisors themselves or their students or colleagues, but in all cases the academic institution must support the submission.
Entry deadline: Friday 18 January 2019. Once shortlisting has taken place for this award, successful candidates will be invited to present to the judges. The award ceremony will take place on Friday 26 April 2019 in a glittering afternoon ceremony at the Grosvenor House Hotel on Park Lane.
To enter go to: